More than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning every year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than 20,000 visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 others are hospitalized
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that often goes undetected, striking victims caught off guard or in their sleep.
This "silent killer" is produced by burning fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, portable generators, or furnaces. When the gas builds up in enclosed spaces, people or animals who breathe it can be poisoned. Ventilation does not guarantee safety.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says about 170 people in the United States die every year from carbon monoxide produced by non-automotive consumer products, such as room heaters. So as the weather turns colder, it's important to take extra precautions.
Educate yourself on the signs, symptoms and more important - ways to prevent!